The 68th International Astronautical Congress (IAC) 2017 will be held in Adelaide from 25 to 29 September 2017 at the Adelaide Convention Centre. The theme of the 2017 congress is “Space: Unlocking Imagination, Fostering Innovation and Strengthening Security.”
The IAC has been held every year since 1950. In 1998 the Congress was held in Melbourne. The 2017 event will be the second time it has been held in Australia and it is anticipated that more than 3,500 space professionals, including astronauts, heads of space agencies, engineers, scientists, innovators, legal and policy specialists, parliamentarians and students will attend IAC 2017 in Adelaide.
The growth of space and sustainable defence industries in South Australia plays a key role in the state’s economic development. The main capabilities and expertise are concentrated on: earth observation, satellite communications and space-based position, navigation and timing. These space enabling services support activities across a variety of sectors including communication, environmental monitoring and mapping.
The space industry contributes to the development of other priority sectors for South Australia including defence, agriculture, mining and tourism, as well as services for the community such as health and education.
IAC 2017 will provide the South Australian Government with an opportunity to:
- Promote our space, defence, telecommunications, advanced manufacturing and research and development (R&D) capabilities;
- Provide a platform for local high-tech companies, research organisations and universities to showcase/market their technologies and capabilities to major space and defence manufacturing supply chain companies;
- Promote STEM career opportunities to primary and high school students in and around the Congress.
21 local South Australian companies, research institutions and government departments will join the South Australian Government stand (stand 6) at the IAC exhibition. The list of companies exhibiting on South Australian Government stand at IAC has been provided below:
- Adelaide University
- Axiom Precision Manufacturing
- Customs Agency Services
- Department of Education and Child Development
- Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Department of State Development
- Fleet Space Technologies
- Flinders University
- Hamilton Secondary College
- Inovor Technologies
- Investment Attraction South Australia
- Neumann Space
- Silentium Defence
- TAFE SA
- University of South Australia
For more information about the IAC 2017, including registration and program information head to the event website.